Sunday, March 19, 2017

Art Class: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch (Part I)

This is my second time trying out the lesson unit for the Primary 5 children. I started the lesson by showing the children some gruesome  emotionally-impactful images caused by our plastic ocean and asking them to discuss what they see using the See-Think-Wonder framework.



Next, we watched the trailer Waste Land (2010) and we discussed about how artists use their skills and knowledge to raise awareness on a marginalized group of people and improve people's standard of living. It's quite impossible for me to hear from everyone in a class of near 40 kids so I had them make their thinking visible in their sketchbook about this issue.


I was really glad when I had a student who told me that his father told him about Rob Greenfield because I was going to show them this video:



Some time last year, pupils from the Art Club visited the Singapore Art Museum and heard a local artist, Tan Zi Xi spoke about her artwork Plastic Ocean responding to the same theme.




When I was conducting this lesson for the very first time, I was very new to the children having been posted to my current school. It was very challenging as the children had a very strong preconceived idea of what art is and they weren't ready to accept such lesson as art lesson. My current cohort of children have been with me for 2 years so I find that they are more receptive in terms of being engaged in art discussion instead of expecting a step-by-step approach to art making all the time. Like Elliot Eisner says, the curriculum is a mind-altering device. Most children accept what they were given, as such, it's important to balance my approach towards art and since we are in a position to make the necessary adjustments needed to suit local circumstances.