Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Art Class: Building Spaces (Part II)


Part 1 of this post is here if you've missed it.

After the children started to use masking tape to attach the cardboard. I've also showed them 4 different ways of cutting and joining cardboard. The samples are secured onto the wall so that they can use them as reference. It's also important to make them see that we have to begin with the end in mind. For example, I've explained to them that we are not using clear tape because it'll be harder for the paint to stay. Ever since I muttered the word paint, some kids were asking me ARE WE PAINTING TODAY? at every lesson until we actually start painting...

I have other boys who followed him and started inserting the smaller toilet paper tubes into the big ones to make bullets.



"It's a tank"
A secret entrance to the house
"This is how the elevator moves"

"Flying House"

"A special way of locking the bigger rolls by inserting the smaller ones inside"
The last GIF that I've shown has an interesting background. When the children were doing this, I remember thinking that they really shouldn't waste my smaller toilet paper tubes by inserting them inside the bigger ones since they were not going to be seen anyway. At the same time I was also telling myself not to interfere with their work just because I don't have enough tubes. So, can you imagine my internal struggle?

I was really glad that I did suspend judgements about how things are supposed to be and asked for an explanation. He started to show me excitedly about his discovery being able to act as a locking mechanism and I knew that I would never have thought of this. And this was done during the times when the children were not given any adhesive yet. Thus, this encounter reinforces the idea that children are able to think for themselves when given the appropriate tools and opportunities to support their growth.

At this point, I would say my favourite question of the day was from a girl who asked me: Ms Huang, when are you going to start teaching us real art? HA!