Sunday, March 12, 2017

Art class: Class Rule

In art class, I give my youngest pupils only 1 rule because it encompasses EVERYTHING. It's quite similar to when asked what my birthday wish was when I was young and I said infinite wishes. Hoping to use them throughout the year. That greed never outgrow in me.

Some people think of children as blank slate or egocentric. At 7 years old, according to Piaget's stages of cognitive development, the children should move away from egocentrism. However, we can't assume that all children would naturally advanced towards the next stage of cognitive development at the same pace. Thus, our job is to support their growth to the next level.

If someone had "forgotten" to return the art materials, I will say, are you being kind to your friends who have to return them for you? If they choose not to wear an apron, I will say, are you being kind to your parents/ caregivers who have to wash or replace your school uniform? If they didn't wash their paintbrushes, I will say, are you being kind to your teacher who have to wash them for you. For the first few lessons, I always direct their attention to the only poster in the art room which I shamelessly printed off the web.


Image result for be kind to others

The children experienced a lot of group work during art class within a compressed time so they learn to cooperate and form a team because they will realise that they cannot innovate alone.