Monday, February 1, 2021

Art Class: Scissors Safety

Hi! I'm sharing about scissors safety to my students this week. If I've learnt anything about teaching, that is not to make assumptions. Using a pair of scissors might seem like a no brainer to adults but some children struggles with it because they lack practice prior to entering primary schools. Some children can be good at hiding this inability, they opt to tear the paper or say that they just want to limit the cutting needed intentionally. Since most scissors are made for right-handers, children who are left-handers would feel awkward using them (if you're a right-hander, try using your left hand to cut, that's how it feels to them) and thus it becomes a disadvantage when the art task demands cutting competency. 

I've made a pair of giant scissors so that the children can better remember my instructions for using scissors. Check out the video below to see the artmaking process.


My mum found this box!

Using scissors to cut scissors