Monday, July 24, 2017

Art Class: Cleanup Contest

I started this cleanup contest in the beginning of the year as I dread seeing children taking their own sweet time to clean up the art room. This "contest" is a good way for the children to master telling time in a context. I encourage them to write in terms of minutes and seconds while translating what they see in this digital version of time. 

During cleanup time, it does look quite chaotic but the job gets done very quickly. Making everyone doing the cleanup means that they are learning to work together as a class. They also become empathetic because they would take initiative to help others to clean up their mess after they are done with theirs.   

A few weeks ago, I had someone from a P1 class said that cleaning is not for boys. I was fuming mad when I heard this. I confronted the 7-year-old boy and he claimed that his father taught him. At home, his sister and mother does all the household chores and he do not need to lift a finger to help. I couldn't believe my ears. An existence of a patriarchal household in the 21st century! Needless to say, he has to play his part in school.

This article comes timely. An open statement for everyone. It could be apt for a society like ours when some children are being served by an adult e.g. domestic helpers (see this article for a film regarding the issue) and assumed that the world only revolves around him/her.