Sunday, September 27, 2020

Art Class: Land Art (2015)

Hi Teachers, today I'm visiting my old lesson and share why it was the first and my last time doing this. These photos were taken five years ago. 

When I first taught at my current school, the students had very strong preconceived notions of what Art is. I couldn't conduct any Art appreciation lessons because they would be more boisterous and make any teaching ineffective but I know that they like hands-on work. 

I decided to bring them out of the classroom for Art lessons and surprisingly they were much calmer and the space was more conducive. I tried to balance the lesson with sketching, some art appreciation on Land Art and hands-on which you can see in the photos below. I sort permission from my school to cut some leaves near the fence as the school garden was too clean to find any fallen leaves. I also took some plants from home as there weren't enough variety. 

The leaves were left on the fence (their canvas) after the class so that the students could build on what the other classes had done. They could also view their work during recess as it's a common area. Two weeks later, I returned to dispose the twine as the leaves were gone. So, I guessed the dried leaves had been blown into a drain which I did not realised if I weren't inform. Subsequently, I did not try this again as I didn't want people cleaning after me. How would you teach about Land Art if you were me?