Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Artventure: DIY Dress

School has started on 2 June and I'm happy to have completed some art projects during my break. Our school vacation is actually in June but due to the current situation, there was a swop to extend the circuit beaker. My favourite project has to be making my own dress using paper patterns since all the non-essential shops are still closed. It felt really good to make your own clothes. I bought the batik fabric in Bali last year and I knew I had to make something really useful. Not my usual colour scheme for work but I think it's a possible teaching tool when the time comes. 

It sure took a lot of time to make and I've learnt to take note of more details when looking at clothes😊. Besides the type of materials used, things like the type of stitch for different areas, the width/ tension of the stitch also depends on the type of fabrics used. Even though the dress looks alright, since I don't have a serger machine, the interior of the dress don't look professionally made. If I were to make this again, I will use a 50cm invisible zip and stitch my pockets nearer to the waist.