Sunday, May 7, 2017

Art Class: Understanding Understanding

In art class, we adopt the Havard Project Zero Thinking Routines for assessment. You can view the video below:


I enjoy reading the children's writing especially when their artwork has a personal connection to themselves. Time will usually reveal what is significant to the children. I told them that I snapped photos of their work so that everyone can learn from each other. It has more relevance when they know they are going to view/ read something from their friends rather than of the teacher's work sample. Art is also one of those subjects where children can use their 'heartware' (soul) instead of emphasizing on the 'hardware' (end product). It helps when I know more about the children because it helps in planning the kind the lessons that are important to know and engaging to them as well. For example, if the majority of the children are responsive to music then perhaps we could study the lyrics/ text in a song/ poem.

At the same time, I'm also using the assessment to gauge how the children respond and think if the lessons were effective. Different classes of the same level can react differently to the same lessons. There are days where I question my decision to teach. There are also good days where the aura of the class is particular good that it feels surreal.